Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Grocery Shopping

A friend of mine was amazed when she learned that I only budget myself $20-$30 for the week on groceries and I stick to it. She spends almost $70 for one person!

My trick is to peruse the supermarket circulars and buy only what's on sale. I have a small pantry but I try to stock it up with the basics like canned stock/broth, dried pasta, jarred sauces, and canned beans. Most often times these go on sale for 99¢ or less.
Frozen vegetables periodically go on sale as well and I stock up on corn, peas, chopped broccoli, chopped spinach, whole leaf spinach, and okra when they sell at 99¢. These vegetables come in handy to bulk up a meal and I have recipes that utilize these in this blog.
Bread freezes very well so if you find that loaf on sale for $1.50, buy a couple and freeze one for later.

I buy the store brand most times since it's cheaper and I find it's just as good as major name brands. When I DO find name brands on sale, I also search the internet for manufacturer's coupons for that product for the additional savings.

Specialty spices and sauces I buy in Chinatown or Little India as they are often sold at better prices than major markets.

I shop at Costco for bulk savings like cereals and bevereages and they also have coupons on specific items. Fresh produce is cheaper there than at supermarkets as you can buy a package of 6 romaine hearts for about $3 (great for making Caesar salads and wrapping Galbi Gui). Don't forget the drugstores and 99¢ stores!

When buying fresh produce or items from the refrigerated sections, always look at the expiration date and chose the one that will expire later. Supermarkets usually put the newer stock behind the ones that will expire sooner. When you get home, do the same with your refrigerator and pantry.

Once your pantry and freezer are well stocked, you'll be spending less to make a meal. Many recipes will make a dish to serve a small family. If it's just you, freeze the rest for meals you can eat later and you will have saved yourself money AND time.

No comments:

Post a Comment